Friday 7 October 2011

Back to Black?

The weather is changing. People are wrapping up in coats and scarves. I no longer intern for my beloved travel company. We've had our ups and downs along the way, but last night I was presented with a card, with many glasses of wine in the pub next door, with a Brick Lane curry (where I drunkenly tried to tip the waiter the cash equivalent of my pin number), and I knew I was going to miss heading in for work on the 8.41 train every morning.

But with every end comes a new beginning, and tomorrow I catch a flight to Reykjavik, where I'm spending the next fortnight swimming in silica blue pools, watching geysers erupt and praying the Northern Lights make a hazy green appearance. I'll also be lending a hand to the smooth running of Iceland Airwaves, a music festival that folks from far and wide will be attending. The facts are still quite vague, so I've decided I'll most likely be checking wristbands, telling drunk people to move away from the stages, and generally watching out for any un-festivally behaviour. Needless to say, it's going to be an experience and a half. Not least because I know very little about Iceland - in fact, most people seem to be less than clued up on the country.

For somewhere with one of the lowest population densities in Europe (there are generally more sheep than humans scattered across the Icelandic countryside), its a wonder more tourists haven't opted for Iceland when they're looking for an escape from their normal, busy, overpopulated lives. But I've only met one girl who's actually visited, and she works in travel so is more adventurous than most. Hopefully I'll end up learning a wealth of knowledge about a country I know has the capacity to be very influential on my state of mind at present. So it's off to a land of sheep's eyes and shark meat. See you on the other side..

No comments:

Post a Comment